Salem School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Custodian (Second Shift)
at Salem School District
Openings as of 7/23/2019
- Custodian (Second Shift) JobID: 2940
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
Salem High School
- Date Available:
- Closing Date:
Internal Closing 03/12/19
- Checks and secures doors, windows, utility equipment and property of the Salem School District.
- Inspects premises against damage by fire, theft and illegal entry.
- Keeps building and premise, including sidewalks, driveways and play areas neat and clean at all times.
- Shovels, plows,and/or sands/deices walks, driveways, parking areas and steps as appropriate.
- Sweeps, vacuums, mops, dusts, shampoos, steam cleans, strips, waxes, polishes and buffs floors, carpets, and furniture, etc.
- Performs cleaning tasks such as washing windows, emptying waste baskets.
- Dusts and polishes woodwork, fixtures, furniture, and equipment.
- Moves furniture, cabinets and other equipment.
- May scrub, strip, wax, and buff floors.
- May perform some of the less technical building maintenance tasks.
- Changes light bulbs and fluorescent tubes.
- Cleans and sanitizes offices, classrooms, restrooms and replenishes supplies; cleans spills; cleans drinking fountains, mirrors, tables, desks, walls, fixtures, blinds, shades, light fixtures, etc.
- Performs minor semi-skilled interior building maintenance and repairs such as painting, floor covering, plumbing, carpentry, mechanical, and other unskilled and semi-skilled trades work.
- Inspects and maintains assigned custodial equipment and small tools for proper operating condition.
- Keeps records of work completed as needed.
- Maintains current skills and knowledge in the proper and safe techniques of custodial maintenance.
- Methods, chemicals, disinfectants, and equipment used in cleaning and caring of floors, walls, fixtures and furniture.
- Equipment, materials and supplies used in building maintenance.
- Equipment and supplies used to do minor repairs.
- First aid and applicable safety precautions.
- Read and understand signs, labels and work schedules.
- Write and enter information on records.
- Operate floor care machines and other tools and equipment properly, safely, and efficiently.
- Communicate effectively with co-workers, supervisors, staff and visitors.
- Work independently as well as in a team atmosphere and to complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
Under supervision, to secure Salem School District property, building and related areas; to perform routine custodial work and other duties as assigned.
Duties assigned are the more routine security and cleaning tasks subject to inspection during performance or upon completion. This position receives work direction from the Head Custodian, Custodian Supervisor, Building Principal and/or Director of Maintenance.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the knowledge and skills listed. Typically the equivalent to two (2) years of recent full-time custodial experience in commercial buildings and /or facilities that demonstrates possession of the following knowledge and ability requirements.
Candidates will need to successfully pass a background investigation to include fingerprint and criminal history evaluation.
The physical demands and working described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms; stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk or hear. Duties require frequent lifting and/or moving up to 25 pounds and occasionally lifting and /or moving more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, and toxic cleaning chemicals. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet during indoor night shift operations. Employees are required to work alone at night and on weekends.
Must be available to work night, weekend and holiday shifts. On night, weekend or holiday shifts as assigned, may be required to work alone. On such assignments, within established policies and procedures, incumbents of this position are expected to work with considerable initiative and independent judgment in identifying and taking corrective action on the more routine problems. Emergency complex problems occurring during such assignments are referred to appropriate higher level building maintenance staff.
Employees will need to travel to alternate work locations.
Hours: 2:30 pm to 11:00 pm
Salary: $16.57/hour plus $.32/hour shift differential = $16.89/hour